“It was terrifying, I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t hold a knife and fork. I was scared.”

A pole dancer who blamed agonizing pins and needles a pair of skin-tight boots was shocked to discover she was suffering from an undiagnosed nerve condition.

Siobhan Hatch, 30, of South Shields, Tyne and Wear, was left barely able to walk when the tingling sensation took hold of her body but she dismissed the discomfort as the after effects of ‘hitting the stage a bit too hard’ in her racy boots.

But days later she woke up to find herself paralyzed from the waist down and was diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome, a life-threatening condition which causes numbness, weakness, and pain.

Terrifying: Siobhan Hatch, 30, pictured with boyfriend Andy and her sons, Leon, four, and Andre, two, was diagnosed with a rare condition after suffering from pins and needles

The paralysis spread until she could not feel anything below her neck. ‘It was terrifying,’ Siobhan said. ‘I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t hold a knife and fork. I was scared.’

Doctors treated the illness and she slowly regained movement. She now manages the condition but sometimes uses a walking stick – and can no longer dance on stage.